Quillin Weaving

A blog about spinning, dyeing and fiber related things.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008


Don't you just love New Year's Resolutions? I am so bad at them! They are fine until about the third week in January and I am bored with the new rules and want to go back to my old ways. Well, I will try to post more often here. This red-brown jacket is what I worked on over the Christmas holiday. It is a dark brown and sandalwood warp with a teak weft - all wool from Harrisville and still available. The novelty yarn that makes the decorative strips is wool also but came from a discontinued bin, if you want a similar look go with a yarn with heavy slubs in colors that match your warp. It is woven as a 2/2 twill on 4 harnesses and was four pieces on a 10 dent reed. Two are 27" X 53", this is the main body, the two pieces sewn up the back and under the arms. Then a small piece for a pocket (because pockets make everything better) and a 5" collar that was done the width of the weaving with some scrap warp. The lapels are held back with large resin buttons.
Here is the second project -- a retro poncho! Also in Harrisville wool, it is woven in a diamond twill pattern. You can see the upclose below this photo. In case you want to make one this pattern is using a 10 dent reed and four harnesses. The warp is 20" across and the length of each panel (there are two just alike) was 45." After washing and fulling this comes to about 16"X 36", which was pretty close to what I was aiming for. If you are good at crochet, this poncho looks great with scallops all along the outside edge.


Here is what the pattern looks like, the weft was a teal wool that was leftover from some other long ago project.
Thanks to everyone who wrote to me condolences about my dad. It is still hard for me to believe he is gone, I guess we always feel that way about parents. If you still have yours give them a hug for the new year.
Blessings to you all.

1 comment:

Jill of All Trades said...

Just found your blog, and it's wonderful! I'm a new weaver. Just discovered the beauty and diversity of rag rugs. Your creations are an inspiration. Nancy