Quillin Weaving

A blog about spinning, dyeing and fiber related things.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008


Home from England. We spent a couple of weeks in England and most of that time in London. The weather was beautiful, some rain and moderate temps. Although this blog is mainly about weaving, this part is going to be about England because that is where the weaver went (me). This first picture is the London Eye, which is basically a huge ferris wheel that allows people to get a great view of the city and river Thames. I have to admit that I have never ridden the Eye because I hate hights, but I think it is a beautiful part of the skyline. Of course everywhere you look in England there are great things to see and experience. The second pic here is of Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery behind the fountains. I always debate which art museum is my favorite when I'm there. I think the Nat Gallery may have more Impressionists but the Tate has the Pre-Raphaelites and they are the soul of art to me. Don't even talk to me about the Tate Modern. We did spend time at the Victoria and Albert looking at all the textiles and being amazed at the wonderous things under that enormous roof.

The day we were in Trafalgar the schools were on strike. The students and teachers were marching through protesting, although we never could pin down what they were trying to get. They all were having a grand time having gotten out of school for the day. They marched down through the square and on to the parlimentary buildings.
Can you imagine people in the States doing that?

This last pic is of the Victoria arch, on the other side are gardens and the road that leads to the palace.


This was our fourth trip to England. I think I love it more every time and never get bored with all the interesting things to see. All of Europe is more in tune with the environment and the state of human rights in the world than we are here in America. We need to be asking why that is, and why our government thinks it is above the other nations in responsibility to this earth and the people on it.

May all your travels be safe and bring you greater understanding of other people.

No comments: