Quillin Weaving

A blog about spinning, dyeing and fiber related things.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer Solstice

This June has been hot. More days over 100 than not. It is hard to find anything blooming in the yard that would seem like a celebration of the mid point of the year. I am not a summer person. I endure the heat, not too stoically and count down the days until fall. This date for me is always an important one since I feel like the best part of the year is still to come. Today is a good friend's birthday and she and her partner are having to evacuate their home because of the Colorado wildfires. My heart is with them.

This time of year is marked by abundance. The farmers here in the Mesilla Valley are harvesting the onions that were in the ground all of the spring and the fields of alfalfa are being cut regularly. The Rio Grande is flowing - which is a rare thing these days. The drought is so severe here that there will be one more week of water in the river and then it will be dry again until next year. The farmers are worried. I live along near the river in an incredibly green zone that is home to many birds and other animals.

Midsummer is a time for being grateful for all that we have been given. I am grateful for the store and all the incredible people it has brought into my life. I am grateful that my world is enlarging beyond my comfort zone. I leave you with pictures of my back yard, few flowers but lots of green - a miracle in this desert.

Be blessed.





1 comment:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

your porch is beautiful...how
could i make something like
this here, i'm wondering....
shelter from the Rays.....