Quillin Weaving

A blog about spinning, dyeing and fiber related things.

Thursday, November 16, 2006


The doll is the third keystone in the book, Zati, Weaving a Life by Susan Barrett Merrill. It took me several days to make her, all the time thinking that she was going to be a wise old crone. When finished she turned out to be my fearless twin! I can hear her saying "What are we waiting for?" The doll is supposed to mirror a part of ourselves that we need greater access to and in this she succeeds. This doll has attitiude and courage to boot.

In making her I placed a stone in the base to provide stability. The stone I choose came from high in the Rocky Mountains, from a place I love and hold dear to my heart. She is also stuffed with lavender and wool, for peace and warmth. In making her I am trying to understand why I don't follow my dreams more closely, what is it that I'm truly afraid of? What am I waiting for? What will it take for me to have that courage? More on that as I find the answers.

There are red scarves on my small loom and an indigo shawl on the big loom. Christmas is just around the corner.

1 comment:

Peaceful/Paisible said...

she looks like a great and brave little woman...
those dolls are so powerful when you take time to listen to their stories...
listen...

Mousie