Quillin Weaving

A blog about spinning, dyeing and fiber related things.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Regarding Spinning Wheels. This message is for Judi, who left me a message but no way to contact her. I love the Country Spinner by Ashford (They make wonderful spinning wheels.) but the smaller wheels give a tighter twist. The Country Spinner is really just for bulky yarns and for plying two or more yarns together. I use it for both things but I think you get a tighter twist and ply on a smaller wheel, like a Louet or even the Ashford Joy. You can really tell the difference in the final yarn product. Now, if you are just going to make loose bulky yarn, it is wonderful because that HUGE bobbin will hold hundreds of yards of yarn. A regular bobbin will only hold 75-125 yards of bulky AND if you are plying and/or making art yarn you have to stop fairly often and transfer the yarn to a niddy-noddy. Does this help? Contact me directly if I can tell you anything more helpful! Thanks.

No comments: