Quillin Weaving

A blog about spinning, dyeing and fiber related things.

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Topophilia is the love of place. It is when you experience such a connection to a place, a home or a natural wild area that it becomes part of who you are inside. It imprints on the memory and soul. I have a great love of my home and of being in this place out here on the plains, where the wind blows and the light is ethereal. It is hard for me to leave this place even for short times. I find myself missing it, the way the afternoon sunlight slants on the wall through the lace curtains. Missing the birds and the sounds of nature here in my own backyard. Most people love to travel and I get envious comments on all sides about my yearly trips abroad. Tomorrow I leave for England and will be gone a couple of weeks. During that time I will try to appreciate the way light falls in the Chalice Well Garden in Glastonbury and the wind in the trees along the Thames. I will try not to think about the furry children at home or the spinning wheel still in the corner. I will try to gather inspiration for my artwork and take pictures to remember and also paint from. I will be looking for weaving shops!

Happy New Year to you all and may the place you are in bring you astounding joy.

No comments: