Quillin Weaving

A blog about spinning, dyeing and fiber related things.

Friday, August 02, 2013

August

Last evening I was discussing with a friend that elusive quality that is sometimes found in the arts and crafts world. That certain something that lets you know that this person has been doing whatever it is for a long time. With writers they have this concept of showing up on the page every day and putting in the hours to write. With artists it is time at the easel. You get the idea. This conversation led us to speculate on the change in understanding that occurs when you do something everyday for a period of time. August is my least favorite month, so I got to thinking - what if I took this time when I normally count down the days until it is over, to learn a new skill or get better at a skill I already have. So last night I got out the new Turkish spindle, the beautiful Mesquite one with the turned shaft and began to spin a fairly bulky yarn. This spindle weighs 2.1 ounces which makes it pretty heavy for a drop spindle of any kind. I wanted to add at least an ounce of fiber to it and see what that was like.






This ball came in at 1.1 ounces and was made from a mini batt like the ones we have at the store. (Thank you Kym!)

The plan for today is to spin another one and then ply them together tomorrow.

I'm inviting you along on this journey to see if I can become a better Turkish spindle spinner. If you are in the Las Cruces area, come by the store to see in person what I'm spinning daily. If you are further away, check in with me here in bloglandia and we will keep in touch. Maybe we can think of something fun to do with the yarn at the end of the month?!?


No comments: