Quillin Weaving

A blog about spinning, dyeing and fiber related things.

Monday, August 05, 2013

Of Skeins and Cats in Baskets


Cats are such wonderful curious creatures. This is not the first one to check out a basket but he surely must be one of the most beautiful. His name is Raffles and he is a Ragdoll who belongs to my friend Pam. I actually picked the basket to go with her living room rug and decor but it fits the cat nicely too.

I'm learning a lot even just at this beginning end of the Turkish spindle exploration. One of my goals is to eventually learn to navajo ply on one. For now I am pretty happy just spinning away and getting better at that.











This is the previous day's ball along with the current one.

The two pull balls ready to ply.

It is currently taking me 2 1/2 hours to spin one ounce. That is five hours total to spin the two ounces to make one plied skein. I'm cheating and plying on a spinning wheel and it take all of about 10 minutes. The reason I am not plying on the spindle is that it would not hold the entire skein and I don't want to cut it.

This is the latest skein and it weighed in at 2.3 ounces and was 81 yards.




No comments: